Good, Bad or Indifferent, Life is Constantly Changing

So many things have happened over the past several weeks, that I’ve simply been too overwhelmed to write. Each time I sit down and try to organize my thoughts and process everything, I decide it’s easier to just go and do something else. 

I initially started this blog as a way of journaling my life as I explore a variety of artistic endeavors. I had great intentions, but life got in the way. I was busy with quilting, blogging for the Bakersfield Modern Quilt Guild, and generally trying to keep up with taking care of other people and other things. Sadly, my blog and my creativity have been sorely neglected. I needed a shake up, I guess!

If you are unaware of how bad California’s economy has been, then you’ve been living under a rock! 😉  Since my husband is employed by the State, we have been very negatively effected by the cut in my husband’s salary, the ever-climbing cost  of living, and the increase in college expenses for our son, who is a senior student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Many times over, I’ve felt like I was drowning, and there was no hope that a life boat would happen by. The goal was to simply get by, one day at a time. It seemed like everything in life became a matter of survival. That gets old!

I picked Scott up at the carpool one day, and he said, “Crescent City or San Luis Obispo?” My answer: “Yes?” He asked me again, and my answer was the same. He’s not usually one for teasing, but I could see the laughter in his eyes, and so I asked him what the heck he was referring to. He finally explained to me that all employees in his bargaining unit had been given notice that they may be laid off. He has 24.5 years in the department, so it wasn’t like he’d lose his job tomorrow. However, having received the notice, he was given the option to apply for a transfer to any institution that had an opening. He knows how much I love being near water, so he was asking which place I’d like to live. The next evening, he faxed his transfer request to state headquarters. It all came down to his seniority number. No interview, no testing, nada. I certainly hoped for a transfer to the happiest place in the U.S. (as deemed by Oprah), but I was so used to disappointment, I was afraid to hope. On Monday, February 4th, I was sitting here and sewing with Pam when the letter came. I couldn’t believe it! I read the first few lines, welcoming Scott to CMC in San Luis Obispo, and that’s as far as I got. I finally told Pam what was going on, and I felt like I was floating on a cloud of shock, disbelief, and pure joy! Jumping up and down, light-headed, happiness! Scott and I went to dinner that night and celebrated this unimaginable change that was about to happen in our lives.

The next day, I called our mortgage company and started the process of listing our home for short sale, due to this unexpected job transfer. Scott contacted the institution and found out that he was to report to his new job on February 19th, and I had already made plans and reservations to attend Quiltcon in Austin, TX, leaving on the 20th. Could it get any crazier? Ummmm, yes!

Tuesday evening, we were both pretty wiped out by all of the emotions we’d been  feeling, planning on how to orchestrate the move, my trip, selling the house, looking for a place to live, etc. Around 8:00, I noticed that Chipper was breathing quite fast. He would dream a lot, and his breathing would increase when he did. I asked Scott to reach over and touch him to see if he’d calm down a bit. He seemed to, but his breathing was still more rapid than it should have been. When the boys went out for the last time that night, Chip seemed fine. He ran to the fence and barked at the dogs next door, ran around the yard a bit, then joyfully ran into the kitchen for his treat. 

My dogs have their routine. Chip would always curl up between Scott’s feet, and Chunk would lie at the foot of the bed. As I was dozing off, I felt Chip get up and he seemed to have trouble getting comfortable. At some point, I heard him get off the bed, which he’d do if he got too warm. It was like being a mama of little children. You sleep with your ears open. I kept hearing him moving from one place to another, trying to get settled. I got up around 2:00 a.m., and I layed down in the floor with him. I slept most of the night like that, and I could hear the rattling in his breathing. All of my animals get asthma this time of year, and I thought he needed a steroid shot. I called the vet as soon as they opened the next morning, and I took him right in. He was very excited to get to go bye bye, hopped and ran and howled, all the way out to the truck. Even as perky as he was, I could still tell his breathing wasn’t quite right. At the vet’s office, he was friendly, took a treat from one of the techs, and seemed to be his spunky little self, but I could tell he wasn’t. I don’t care if it’s human babies or fur babies, a mama knows. 

The vet could hear fluid in his lungs, so she took some chest x-rays. What she saw on those x-rays, shocked everyone in the office. Chipper was suffering from congestive heart failure. His heart was so enlarged, that it took up his entire chest cavity! Both of his lungs were full of fluid, and his heart was being squeezed by the fluid building up there, too. They gave him IV meds to reduce the fluids and said he’d improve over the next couple of hours. They sent me home with other medications to give him and told me to bring him back on Friday. We got home at 9:30, and Chipper died at noon. So fast, so unexpected, and a complete shock. I am so glad that I got to bring him home and be with him while he passed. He was an awesome pup, with tons of spunk and personality! He had quirks that were unusual and all Chipper. He’d lick a thousand times, like he was giving you kisses, yet never touch you. Tender, air kisses. He always smiled, and when he’d flop over for a belly rub, his tail wagged so much that his whole body wiggled. He’d steal your socks, underwear, dish towels, almost anything, and walk around with whatever it was, making this whiney sound and pacing the room. Finally, he’d settle down somewhere and sleep on whatever he’d stolen. He never chewed things up. It was like he had a wooby, and was trying to find the best place to settle down with it. He was always underfoot, and he was my constant companion. When I sewed, he curled up in the room with me. When I’d shower, he’d be curled up on a bath rug, waiting for me to get finished. When I cooked, he’d curl up on the kitchen rug right behind me. If I went down the hall for something, I’d trip on him if I turned around too quickly. I can’t count the number of times I’d scold him for being underfoot! I’d say to him, “My little Chip, wherever I go, he goes.”  He was a happy, smart pup, who was also feisty and a bit mischevious. We had Chipper’s mama, Penny, and we still have his brother, Chunk. He and Chunk were from the same litter, so they’d never been apart. The day he died, Chunk threw up uncontrollably, all day long. Even Shamus cried and yowelled all day, and he got sick, too! A visit to the vet for some anti-nausea meds for both of them, and they were both fine the next day. They were grieving, just like I was. 

I left for Quiltcon two weeks later. With everything that had happened, I almost didn’t go. My house sitter had moved, so I didn’t have anyone to watch the house until the day before I was to leave! I had a quilt in the show, and I really wanted to go, but I also struggled with feeling like I wanted to crawl into a hole and hide. I was so raw in so many ways! My nephew and his girlfriend came to my rescue and offered to house and animal sit while I was gone. And so it happened, I did make it to Quiltcon after all. 

Quiltcon was great! I didn’t take any classes, because I wanted to go to the lectures and see demos. I also got to see some very special friends, and spent time getting to know new friends. There were so many serendipitous things that happened, that I almost can’t quite sort them all out in order to write about them! I don’t believe that things randomly happen. I believe God has a plan for me, and I tend to get in the way of things, because I’m a bit stubborn. This one time, I truly flew by the seat of my pants and let God do His thing. I’ve been wanting to design, create art, and write. That being said, I get caught up in every day life and other committments, and simply surviving. I was completely blown away by the opportunities that were presented to me, the connections that I made without trying, and the affirmations that came to me of what I need to be doing with my art. Blown away, I tell ya! Day after day, amazing things happened! Without sharing details, because I’m still overwhelmed by it all, God made himself very clear! 

The day to day things still have to be taken care of. I’m still in Bakersfield, taking care of getting the house sold and packing it up, while Scott is working and living in San Luis Obispo. We are blessed that my niece and her husband have provided him with a place to stay during the week. We got our house listed, and we had 13 offers in 3 days! I’m packing up things that we don’t need to use, and I’m searching for a place to live in San Luis Obispo. We are also looking at surrounding areas. So far, nothing has panned out. Because of everything that’s happened in the last 6 weeks, I know that God will bring us just the right place at just the right time. I’m trying like crazy not to get caught up in being lonesome and frustrated. You know, those human emotions that can stop us in our tracks if we’re not careful. This is a whole new chapter in our lives, and I know that we are going to grow in immeasureable ways.

As an artist, my soul is opening up in ways that I’ve only dreamed about. I’m discovering new facets of myself, and I’m amazed! Amazed at so many things! Like I said, I’m still overwhelmed! I’m going to try to be more diligent about blogging, so that I can share my adventures with anyone who wants to read about them! Hold on, it’s going to be a wild ride!

xoxo, Chipper….



18 responses

  1. Absolutely beautiful read, my friend. My heart was weeping for you — but your faith in God is tremendous and uplifting. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) Happy days lie ahead for you, and I will be eagerly waiting to learn the news of where the Lord decides to take you with your artwork! xo

  2. And just when you think God has left you, you realize he’s watching over us, and preparing for his next trial. I am so sorry Chip went so quick, but also thankful he didn’t have a long drawn out illness for you to deal with! I am thankful for Scott’s new job on the central coast, but I know it’s hard for you to be alone handling the house sale! You are a good and kind friend to all and you will be missed! We’re all in shock really, knowing that you won’t be at BMQG meetings trying to keep us on track! I am confident the this next adventure will awesome and you will thrive!! The rest if us have a reason to go to the coast!!! So get an spare room ready for us!!! Xxxxoooo!

    • You know that having a guest bedroom is on my “must have” list, and so is “room for friends to sew with me” is also there! I’m going to miss the BMQG, too! Such a great group of quilters and friends!

  3. Aww, Lynn, just getting to know you and now you are leaving. But, as much as you are thrilled with the move (and who wouldn’t be?!), I know you have friend-roots here that will draw you back. Reading your blog helped me know you a little bit more. And, outside of my immediate family, my beagle, Spot, was my first love. I knew there was another reason to feel drawn to you. So terribly sorry for the loss of Chipper. It has to hurt. I had no idea that the other pets would grieve like that as well. He was beautiful. I’m sending you warm wishes as you turn the page on this chapter in your life and start another wonderful one. I do truly hope our paths will continue to cross. You have been such an inspiration to me – your heart, your talent, your patience. I really value our budding friendship.

    • Wow, Holley, thank you so much! I feel a special kinship with you as well. I always appreciate your smiles, hugs and encouragement, and I will miss you very much! I have no doubt that our paths will cross again and again! Count on it! xoxo

  4. So sorry for your loss of Chipper, Lynn….it’s so hard to lose those furbabies.

    But on the bright side, WOW! A whole new adventure opening up for you. A wild ride for sure, but I know you’ll make the most of it. Hang on and enjoy the journey my friend. Can’t wait to hear of your new adventures!

  5. Wow Lynn, big changes in your life. So sorry about Chipper, it’s always so hard to lose our special friends. Lucky you, you’ll get to breath clean air, and the cooler weather will be better for the Lupus, etc. You’re being watched over, God will take care of you. Best of luck and happiness in your new adventures.

    • Thank you, Patty. I’m looking forward to not having to spend another summer here! Clean air, cooler temps, an environment that is artistically inspiring, and hopefully, a bit more relaxed. I just might have to dig out those water colors you gave me when we first met! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s