Something in the Works

I’ve collected Amy Butler fabrics FOREVER! Seriously, I’m trying to avoid “horder status” by using my stash for some projects. This is a layout for a Twister quilt using all of my AB fabrics. There are a few that need to be changed out, and I’m trying to decide whether or not I want to make this big enough for my California King sized bed. I have enough fabric, just don’t know if I have the stamina! ūüėČ Since I need to finish quilting Pam’s quilt, I’ll let the king sized idea marinate for a bit. If any of you have made a Twister quilt, post the link here! I’d love to see them!

Image

Advertisements

Something Just For Me

Last January, at The Road to California quilt show, I purchased a pattern from Honey Run Quilters. It’s called Simple Addition, by Simply Cotton. I liked that I could use my Kaffe Fassett quilt stash and not have to cut the fabrics into small pieces. I added a few pieces from a line by Anna Maria Horner, which fit in perfectly! I love to add a bit of the unexpected to my quilts, so I chose the black and white print for my inner border. Since I’d just taught a class on using Susan Cleveland’s Piping Hot Binding technique, I wanted to add it to my binding. I could have used a variety of patterns for the quilting, but decided on something traditional, baptist fans. I love the mix of the linear, modern quilt blocks with the curves of the age-old traditional quilting pattern! ¬†The batting is Hobbs Heirloom wool, and the thread is Superior’s Rainbows.¬†I have a problem with doing binding, because of the RA in my hands, so my sweet friend, Nicci, hand stitched the binding for me. I am absolutely thrilled with this quilt!

ImageImageImageImageImage

A special thanks to my trusty photography assistant, da Chunk!

When Plan A Isn’t Working….

I don’t¬†know¬†about everyone else, but Plan A almost never works out for me. When beginning a project, I usually have a Plan A, B, C, D, and sometimes I get even further than that in the design process!

There was a time when, if Plan A didn’t work, the project went back into a bad, drawer, or shelf somewhere, never to be worked on again. Then I got involved with the Bakersfield Modern Quilt Guild and started researching what modern quilting was all about. The terms, refashion, repurpose, and reuse, are all very big in modern quilting. The more I learned about MQ, the more I started giving myself permission to screw up and NOT throw that project into the closet! I keep telling myself that mistakes are simply new design opportunities, right? Works for me!

Recently, I got interested into participating in a couple of online swaps. The first swap was called the Pretty Little Pouch Swap. I had never made a purse or pouch of any sort, and I hadn’t inserted a zipper into anything since high school! Needless to say, I was a little bit intimidated! So, on to Plan A for the PLP swap! I dug through my precious¬†Kaffe Fassett fabrics and came up with Plan A. I was loving it until I posted a progress picture on the Flickr group for the swap. There were very few positive comments about it, because not everybody is a Kaffe fan. Okay, so where was my Plan B? Most likely, playing in the hall closet with all of the Plan A’s! After hours and hours of trying to come up with a Plan B, I got an idea. I could envision the general layout in my head, but had no idea how to execute it. Little by little, I let Plan B come to fruition. I loved the end result, and I learned that sometimes ideas need time to marinate. This was one of them.

Plan A Pretty Little Pouch Swap

Plan B Pretty Little Pouch Swap

I’ve decided to finish the first one and give it as a gift. The colors are brighter in person, and I know that the recipient of the pouch likes Kaffe Fassett fabrics.

I also participated in an online pillow swap called the Pillow Talk Swap. I didn’t start with a Plan A. I bought the fabrics, then let several ideas marinate for a while. This was the end product, inspired by Victoria at Bumble Beans.

The next swap deadline is right around the corner. In this one, we are making and swapping doll quilts. They are to be made out of Denyse Schmidt fabrics and measure no bigger than 16″ x 16″. ¬†Plan A was absolutely fabulous, in my head! Once it was on the design wall, it stink, stank, stunk!!!

  

After my friend, Pam, posted a picture of a paper-pieced braided star block she’d made, I had my Plan B!

This was such fun to make! I need to add a 2″ border and quilt it, then it’ll be off to my swap partner! If you want to make this block, you’ll find the paper piecing template and tutorial at¬†http://www.add-crafter.com/2012/04/basketweave-braid-star-block/

I can’t leave you without a picture I took this morning, after this danged cat woke me up so that I could open the shutters and window in my sewing room. This is his favorite place to sit in the morning.

For a New Baby

This is a baby quilt that I’m making for a new baby. I really struggled over whether or not to add borders to it. The bottom line was that I wanted it to be a little bigger than if it didn’t have borders. I love the ticket print, and I think the borders took the quilt from looking a little too sweet, and into looking a little more boyish, which it needed to be. I love the Pezzie fabrics by Moda, and I have officially fallen in love with the Moda Bella Solids. They are soft and don’t seem to fray as much as some other brands of solids. One of our local quilt shops, Bolts to Binding, is carrying the Moda Bella solids, and they are adding new colors constantly!

The pattern for this quilt can be found on the blog of Cluck Cluck Sew. Not only is her pink quilt adorable, she also  has a beautiful bundle of joy to go with it!